Last week, Ben and I were in Des Moines visiting our new nephew. He’s adorable. His name is Colin. We love him already!
A trip to Des Moines usually also includes a trip to Target. While we were browsing the new Magnolia products, Ben pointed out this cute little mortar and pestle.
I’ve seen them before but never thought I would use one. Ben pointed out that it would be great to use when we make avocado toast, which is one of our favorite meals to make together. We used it this morning, and it really did speed up the process! I usually cut the avocado in half, scoop it out, cut it up in a bowl, and mash it with a fork. If the avocado isn’t ripe enough, it takes a while to mash with the fork. Our avocado could have waited another day, but mashing it up with the mortar and pestle was a breeze! I was surprised to see that this ceramic piece is also dishwasher safe.
We took a few photos while preparing the toast this morning, and I wanted to share the recipe with you! It seems silly to even have a “recipe” for something as simple as toast, but this recipe has a few things that make it special.
(p.s. this post contains affiliate links for Target and Amazon.)
Everything Avocado Toast
Prep time: 10 mins
Serves 2 people
- Sourdough Bread
- 1 ripe Avocado
- Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- Crepe pan, griddle, or cast iron skillet (We use a stoneware crepe pan)
- Mortar and pestle
- Sharp knife
- Cutting Board
- Begin toasting your sourdough at low to medium heat. Use butter on both sides like you would when making a grilled cheese. For a healthier alternative, baste both sides of the bread with olive oil.
2. While sourdough is toasting, begin preparing the avocado. Cut in half from top to bottom with a sharp knife. To easily remove the pit, use one quick motion to tap your knife into the pit.
You may have to rotate the knife, but the pit should come right out! (I learned this trick from Antoni, the chef on Netflix’s reboot of Queer Eye! I used to dig it out with a spoon, which was messy and ineffective.)
3. Place avocado in mortar. Throw away skin of avocado.
4. Check your toast! You’ll want to flip when it starts to look golden brown.
5. Mash up your avocado. This was so quick with the mortar and pestle.
6. When your toast is golden with buttery goodness, divide the mashed avocado between your two pieces of toast and spread.
7. Top with as much Everything seasoning as you’d like! I also like to put this seasoning on fried eggs and baked sweet potatoes.
8. The next step is optional. If we have a lemon on hand, I like to top my toast with lemon zest. Ben doesn’t like the added lemon, so it’s up to your preferences! If we don’t have lemon, I still love it without.
9. Best enjoyed with a cup of black coffee and someone you love!
Here are some links to the dishes and linens we love!
(These are affiliate links, which means I will receive a small percent commission if you decide to purchase any Target products through my links. Thank you for supporting Holland Avenue Home!)
Do you like avocado toast? I didn’t get the hype until I tried it myself. We love making this meal on a slow morning together. If we’re really hungry, we just double the “recipe” and use two avocados for four pieces of toast. If you’re just preparing one piece for yourself, keep the pit in half of the avocado for storing in the fridge. It helps the avocado last longer once cut open!
Thanks for reading, and have a happy weekend!